The Humble Beginnings of Nelson Acres

My lifelong dream has been to be a farmer. I have been researching and reviewing organic and sustainable methods for a couple of years now, and am now trying to put some of this into practice on my 1/2 acre property...in preparation of the day when I can make that dream come true. This blog is going to be my place to document, share, and follow my successful and unsuccessful attempts as Nelson Acres moves closer to reality.

19 April 2011

Moving Right Along

19 Apr 11

Still home sick, but it is allowing me to water the plants and keep a good eye on them.  Sunday my very good friend Meri and her brother finished my beds for me and moved 3+ yards of topsoil/compost into them.  I planted the cold weather plants, mostly my greens.  Of course it's been cold and rainy since, but they are all looking okay.  I'll post pictures when I can.  Nothing is really taking off yet, but I feel pretty confident as soon as we get some real sun, they will.  I also gave plant food to all my established plants this morning and the little Japanese Maple in the front yard.  I'm hoping these will all create a synergistic affect as the wildlife does their part in pollinating and such.  Of course, the squirrels are a concern, so I'll be keeping an eye on those little buggers.
And I have a big temptation offered to me...my neighbor is looking for a home for a pet rabbit her son found.  I don't need another pet between everything else I have going on, but I am such a crazy animal lover.  And I just looked up that rabbit droppings are good compost for the garden.  Hmmmm....I may casually ask her to meet the little guy.
I'm also looking into an off-shoot of Nelson Acres, specifically utilizing the herbs that I'll be growing.  I have been looking up making my own organic hair products and soaps.  I got some supplies yesterday and will give it a try.  Unfortunately, I've been overdoing it so I need some rest.  Gardening is not for the weary...but who can resist when so much is to be gained!  Still doing a lot of research.  I need to see which veggies I should give the plant food to, and see if they take off.  Pictures soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment