The Humble Beginnings of Nelson Acres

My lifelong dream has been to be a farmer. I have been researching and reviewing organic and sustainable methods for a couple of years now, and am now trying to put some of this into practice on my 1/2 acre property...in preparation of the day when I can make that dream come true. This blog is going to be my place to document, share, and follow my successful and unsuccessful attempts as Nelson Acres moves closer to reality.

07 June 2011

Catching Up

Wow...it's been almost a month.  That's mainly because I'm still sick.  They say I'll be better by September, so I will miss this whole growing season to an extent.  But that means I can get my rows ready for next year :)  This year was mostly about providing for the family and learning, so as you see my pictures, it's more of an edible landscaping adventure this year.  I have not been able to get mulch down or some more compost, but I did feed the herbs, tomatoes, and peppers this weekend.  Need to get to the corn, watermelon, and squash in the other garden.  I tasted my greens today, and they have gone bitter.  So I think I will turn them over where they are and figure out what else to put there.  Maybe potatoes?  I'll have to check what will be a good second crop in that garden.  We had quite the yummy salad though from that batch when my family came down a couple of weeks ago. 
Most everything else is doing really well. I learned I should have planted some things earlier, like the greens and sweat peas (my daughter LOVES these, so I need to plant more next year, too!).  I've also learned that no one in my family likes radishes...so probably not too many of them next year.  I thinned the corn and spread it out as I mentioned in my last post...go figure, all the transplants are doing well!  So I have an 8' x 8' plot full of corn growing.  Can NOT wait for those to ripen!
The small strawberry plant we had died with all the rain we had, as the big pot I had them in didn't have drain holes.  I'll find a better spot for them next year.  My daughter did get to eat one and loved it. 
Anyway...I will now try and post some pictures I've taken...we'll see how that works.  But it's good to know, even with little help from me, Nelson Acres is still moving along :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness, I should have mentioned...I have my first follower :) She's from my SPIN farming group and has her own blog about her gardens: http://fatearth.blogspot.com. I love following her blog and it has great tips as she details her own growing farm!

    ReplyDelete